- invite them to join your group
- communicate publicly with them, by writing on their wall
- communicate privately with them (in which case you will need to set up a "friend" relationship)
Search ToolsThere are search tools located in a few different locations on the site. The primary one can be found under the links in your member profile area. When you are logged in to the site, click on "My Account" to open your member profile area. On the left hand, under your picture, you will see several menu items. At the bottom of this list, select "Find Other Patriots" to open the main Member Directory page.
On the Member Directory are two tabs: All Members, and My Friends. On the right side of the page is a search tool that will let you search by First Name, Last Name, City, or State. Members are displayed 20 on a page. You can browse through the pages by using the page browse buttons at the top and bottom of each page. You can sort the pages alphabetically, by last active, or by newest registered.
Search TipsHere are a few tips that can help you locate members:
- searches are case-insensitive. James is the same as "james".
- Searches are inclusive. "Jo" will find joe, joseph, Billy-jo, even Sam Joseph in some instances.
- Experiment with different combinations in the first and last name fields. The web site only uses the First Name field when members post comments or pictures in the feeds or forums. Some members prefer to put both their first and last name in the First Name field so their full name shows on the site. Some members use a "screen name" in the first Name field and put their real names in the Last Name field. So if you are looking for "Jane Doe" you may want to try different combinations of this in both the First and Last Name fields of the search tool.
- Start your search broadly. Just search by one field, perhaps last name. This may bring you a great number of results, perhaps too many initially.
- Narrow your search by adding additional fields, such as first name or city and state. The more criteria you add the fewer results you will return.
Other Search TipsIf you are unable to locate a member by name (perhaps they have adopted a screen name), you may try some alternate strategies:
- Browse to the state groups that you think the member might be involved with. Look for local groups in their area.
- Post a request on the state or local group pages asking local members if anyone knows of the member, and could ask them to get in touch with you.